Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Pulse Rate Monitor

Today at rehab I inquired about purchasing a pulse rate monitor.  The trainer said they had them for sale for $53.00.  The Polar FT1 is usually around 50-60 dollars, and their price was $53.00, so I bought it.  I tried taking my pulse rate while at home & exercising, but it was a pain.  So, I will give this a try.

The Polar FT1, has two parts, the watch & the chest strap.  There are types available with just the watch band, but they are usually not as accurate.  I tried it out at home and on my walk I got the pulse rate to 101.  I good feel some PVC's around 97-100 when I was going up hill.  This will give me an idea of what I can expect when I workout.  Right now, my resting heart rate as I am typing is 76.

WebMD - Pulse Measurement - has a good article on pulse rate.  The chart on this web site gives the following info for my age of 58.

Resting Pulse Rate - 60-100
Target Heart Rate - 96-136 - The chart is from CCH.net
Maximum Rate - 160

No comments:

Post a Comment