Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

PVC Discussions from the Cleveland Clinic

The discussion that I found today on PVC's was very interesting. If you wish to have a look just click on the link at: Cleveland Clinic - Exercise & PVC's.

I was in my cardiac rehab today (session 24 of 36), and again had PVC's pop up on the heart monitor. Right now the game plan is just ignore them and continue to exercise. In the discussion groups, it is interesting that many of the runners that suffer from the PVC's have them in the beginning of a race at a time when they are excited. Also, they disappear at times when the heart rate rises in the race and come back as the runner is cooling down and the heart rate comes down.

Also in the discussions, stress is discussed. Again, for me, just the fact that I still have the PVC's, going back to work, coaching, and other commitments may be adding to the PVC's.

The one quote that I found I thought was very interesting and will need to take more research. Here is is:

I believe the reason your and my PVC's stop at a certain HR is that offending renegade cells don't have enough time to discharge their stored chemical energy(?). Of course this changes when you stop exercising and your HR gets close to normal. This may be something you want to monitor yourself.

The phrase, "renegade cells" and "discharge their stored chemical energy" demand more research & questions for my cardiologist.

My goal is to 1 - continue to monitor, 2 - try to relax, 3 - cut back on commitments, and 4 - stay focused on diet & exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment