Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Checklist: Your Low-Cholesterol Diet


It has been some time since I have discussed diet.  As mentioned in an earlier bog, once you go from surgery to recovery to back to a normal routine, the old habits quickly come back, long hours, stress, missing exercise, and DIET!  I thought it would be a great time to revisit my current diet!  Let's see how I do on these nine tips?

 
Tip #1 - Stock your pantry and your refrigerator with the right foods for a low-cholesterol diet. Buy your favorite canned or dry beans, fresh fruits, whole grains, vegetables, and vegetable juice.
Comment:  My wife & I do a pretty good job here - we have good foods - my favorite fruits(apple & bananas), veggies(asparagus & green beans), & orange juice are always around.  The beans have not been a food of choice, so maybe we could add that?
Tip #2 - For a low-cholesterol diet, toss the butter, trans fat margarines, and polyunsaturated oil. Replace them with canola oil, olive oil, or plant sterol spreads.
 Comment:  I have always been good with butter, but I am now focusing more on my oils!

Tip #3 - Look for products specifically created for low-cholesterol diets, like Minute Maid HeartWise orange juice and Benecol, Promise, Smart Balance, and Take Control margarines. These foods have been fortified with plant stanols and sterols that help to block the absorption of cholesterol.
Comments:  We are buying more of these!  We have also found that good eating is more expensive!

Tip #4 - Start your day with oatmeal. Experts agree this is one of the top cholesterol-lowering superfoods.
Comment:  I eat oatmeal EVERY morning!  So much, I'm enetering the Kentucky Derby this year!
Tip #5 - Try a cholesterol-free egg substitute instead of whole eggs.
Comments:  I have never been a big egg fan & we have tried Egg Beaters.
Tip #6 - For a tasty low-cholesterol dish, switch out the cream sauce on your fettuccine for lightly stir-fried vegetables.
Comment:  This was one of my downfalls before surgery!  I have cut out all the awesome cream sauces!
Tip #7 - instead of using butter to keep your pan moist while cooking, use white wine vinegar. It doesn't change the flavor of foods and doesn't add fat -- a key to low-cholesterol cooking!
Comment: This one we are already doing.

Tip #8 - Don't lean on butter, sour cream, and other fatty additives for flavoring. Instead, reach for the spices -- either while cooking or at the table. Liven up your dishes with oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, coriander, or cumin.
Comment:  Once AGAIN, I HAVE REALLY CUT BACK ON THE BUTTER & SOUR CREAM!

It looks like I have been behaving!  I do miss, Tastycakes at the Turkey Hill, sticky buns, cookies, and good old fashioned creamy ice cream.  BUT, NEED TO STAY FOCUSED!  Oh, and I forgot french fries!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment