Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sixteen Months After Open Heart Surgery

Another milestone - 16 months after open heart surgery!  What are my observations?

Physical

I feel good!  My chest has healed to the point I do not worry about my chest!  The bone seems strong!  I can sneeze HARD and not worry about hugging myself!  Pushups, swinging a golf club, mowing grass, and my normal activities are no problem!

I need to continue to workout.  My weight has edged back to the 190 pound mark.  At one point I was down to about 180, but food is again tasting good!!  I still try to be careful with my cholesterol & fat intake!  The problem is my schedule!  Believe it or not, I'm busy again!  That was an issue before the operation!  Between, a part time job, coaching, church volunteering, yard work, golf, house work, (I'm Mr. Mom till my wife retires!), and my zipper club buddies - I'm Busy!!!

Mental

I feel good about my new heart!  The extra heart beats, PVC's, are not an issue.  I still have them, but have learned my limits & they seem to be under control.  Aging is interesting!  And heart health & regular health concerns are part of the process!  As I have said in the past, one of the best ways to stay positive, is to stay involved with my "zipper club" buddies!  We share our health issues, talk sports, talk about our families, golf, and meet for breakfast & lunch!  I find it healthy for me to support my friends!

Medicines

The medicine I take seem to be working.  Cholesterol is under control, PVC's are less troublesome, and my body seems to be not suffering from side effects!


No comments:

Post a Comment