Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

PROGRESSIVE WALKING PROGRAM

Found a good exercise program on the web & it also has other tips for people recovering from open heart surgery. The web site is: http://www.heartsurgeons.com/ed5.html

The part that I was interested in was the walking program, here was their schedule:

PROGRESSIVE WALKING PROGRAM

Remember, your heart rate and Rate of Perceived Exertion should be monitored at midpoint during your walking. Your exercise heart rate should not exceed 20 beats above your resting heart rate and your R.P.E. should be in the very light, light (1-2) range. Your walking should be done indoors or outdoors (weather permitting) on flat, level ground.

Week 1 Walk 3 - 5 minutes three to four times daily. Total 12-20 min.

Week 2 Walk 7 - 10 minutes two-three times daily. Total 21-30 min.

Week 3 Walk 10 - 15 minutes two times daily.

Total 20-30 min.

Week 4 - 6 Walk 15 - 20 minutes* one-two times daily. Total 30 min.

I tried to do this up till I had the little bump in the road. So now I am probably two weeks behind schedule. I would put me at the week 3 level right now. That is where I will pick up this week. One of my issues has been the snow and cold! And I hate walking around Park City!

No comments:

Post a Comment