Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Heart Healthy Diet

Of all my goals I set for myself last year, the diet has been the most important!  Just like other aspects of the past year: exercise, medicines, etc., I need to stay more consistent.

Here are my victories:
1 - In the meat category, I rarely eat red meat.  If I do, it is very lean!  In the normal week it is all fish & chicken.

2 - Veggies & Fruit - I have now placed a fruit bowl in the kitchen for snacks - bananas, grapes, apples, and other fruits are there for snacks! (Although I still have a chocolate container for my weaker moments!)

3 - Desserts - I try not to go for my OLD favorites - Chocolate cake & brownies, pies
Here are a few tips from the Mayo Clinic!

Found these suggestions from Mayo Clinic - Heart Healthy Diet


1. Limit unhealthy fats and cholesterol

2. Choose low-fat protein sources

3. Eat more vegetables and fruits

4. Select whole grains

5. Reduce the sodium in your food

6. Control your portion size

7. Plan ahead: Create daily menus

8. Allow yourself an occasional treat



No comments:

Post a Comment