Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Coaching, What Makes Me Do It?

Of all the things I have done in my life, coaching is probably my first love.  I can see why people like Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, John Wooden, Casey Stengel, and other coaches in all sports have trouble letting go.

First, the force of competition never leaves you!  It is something that drives me each day.  My poor young sister never won a game of cards, Risk, Monopoly, or anything without her big brother showing no mercy!  Sorry Ginny!  My childhood friend Bill & I compete at everything, fishing, golfing, March Madness, anything sports!  Even after our heart surgery we are preparing to race 40 yards! (May need an ambulance at the finish line!)

The planning, strategy, workouts, drills, are always in our minds!  Coaches are always looking for a new drill, a new play, a new way to improve!

How about seeing people reach goals they never new were possible?   A League Champion!  A State Champion!  Records!  For me it was high school kids.  They come to you as young adults and leave as young men and women!

Competition is an adrenaline rush!  As the Wide World of Sports would say:  "The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat!"  If you coach long enough you get both ends of the spectrum  And I have had both, with my athletes and with my own two boys, and yes even with myself!

Coaching & sports something that for me has warmed my heart.  At times has broken my heart.  But, in the end, it is a part of my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment