Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Red Wine & Your Heart

I'm sure many of you have enjoyed a glass of red wine. Well, will this be part of my new diet? If so, how much should I have? What are some good red wines? Let the research begin!

Here is an article that I just finished: Red Wine - Heart Health Benefits

The article says, one glass for woman, two glasses for men? (That's one for the guys) The article goes on and says some research shows the red wine may raise HDL(good cholesterol) and prevent LDL(bad cholesterol from forming.
Also, red wine is rich in antioxidants, resveratrol, found in grape skin & seeds, increases HDL and prevents blood clotting. Flavonoids, exhibit antioxidant properties helping prevent blood clots and plaques formation in arteries.

Now the bad news! Alcohol may increase triglycerides, and result in weight gain! Also, use of alcohol may be a cancer risk! Well, looks like I need more research!

What do you think? To Wine or Not to Wine? That is the question.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I recommend a nice Cabernet Sauvignon or a Pinot Noir. Santé! (That's French for 'To your health!' and they say it when they toast!)

    ReplyDelete