Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Still Waiting!

Nine more days till surgery! If you are counting, that is 16 days since I was diagnosed with the three blockages. The difficult part now is the waiting game and making sure I do nothing stupid! Here is where I am at physically:

1 - sitting and reading, watching movies or TV, eating, and sleeping I feel nothing.
2 - walking around the house & up and down a few stairs is OK
3 - walking the dogs I may start to feel a little tightness in the chest
4 - nighttime I am definitely feel tired & my activity is more limited

I am definitely ready! I cannot work around the house, work at school, go to church, lift anything more then 10-20 pounds without feeling that tightness in my chest! Come on surgery!

The mental side of me is positive, but anxious about the surgery. I am not a hospital person. I also have a needle phobia. I always warn the nurses when giving blood I could pass out. Once I get beyond the first needle prick I usually am OK. My gall bladder surgery two years ago went well. The surgery was "day surgery" and I only was light headed one time.

So, I'm feeling ready, but anxious. The wait of over 25 days of knowing I will need open heart surgery does work on you. The term "Open" Heart Surgery should just be "Heart Surgery" forget the "Open" part!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,
    We are thinking about you and following your journey. However we are surprised that you didn't ask about whether you can have beer! Isn't beer good for your heart? Especially the dark beer, like Guinness!
    All of you are in our prayers.
    Anne and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO! NO MORE BEER!

    Fruit juice and water!!!

    Hang in there - this will soon be behind you and you will be on your way to feeling so much better!

    Love - Nurse Ratched (guess who>>>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you can see in the previous comment my sister(Nurse Ratched) continues to be spoil my fun! In case anyone forgot, here is the definition of Nurse Ratched:
    Nurse Mildred Ratched is the main antagonist from Ken Kesey's 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, as well as the 1975 film.

    A cold, sadistic and passive-aggressive tyrant, Nurse Ratched has become the stereotype of the nurse as a battle axe.

    ReplyDelete