Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Good Bye to Another Medicine!

Today I will not be taking: - Amiodarone (a mee' oh da rone)


I have been on this medicine for 2 weeks since I have been home from the hospital on December 17, 2010. The drug is used to control, Atrial fibrillation, which occurs in 10% 40% of patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. Atrial fibrillation (AF or A-fib) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm) and involves the two upper chambers (atria) of the heart. Its name comes from the fibrillating (i.e., quivering) of the heart muscles of the atria, instead of a coordinated contraction.

Found this great article on the issue of Artrial Fibrilation after bypass surgery.

Click on this link & read the article on Artrial Fibrillation

So, here is where I am with the medicine that I am taking. First, the meds I was taking before my problems:

Aspirin - 81 mg (my family doctor had me on this the past 5-6 years)

Lipitor - 10 mg (my family doctor had me on this the past 7-8 years)

Aciphex - 20 mg (my family doctor had me on this the past 5-6 years)

Singulair - 10 mg (my family doctor had me on this the past 7-8 years)

Zetia - 10 mg (my family doctor had me on this the past 2-3 years)


Second, the meds I am now taking after surgery:

Plavix (75 mg) Daily

Amlodipine (200 mg) Daily

Metoprolol (25 mg) Daily

Extra Strength Tylenol (500 mg) every 6-8 hours - 2 tablets

More info to come!



2 comments:

  1. Dear Jim,
    I've been reading your blog faithfully since Vicki Reed shared it with me. You are amazing! What an inspiration to any of us who may someday be faced with a similar procedure.I wish I had kept an account of what was happening to me when I faced my peritonitis, colostomy, and eventual colectomy 6 years ago.It's hard to believe that the human body is as versatile as it is, and that medicine and surgery (and the professionals who've chosen that as their vocation) have advanced to the current levels of care.
    Bill and I wish you and your family a very happy 2011! We can't wait to see you and hear about your healing in person.
    Tessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night time issues - try and delaying your sleep for a little - even going to bed 30 minutes later may help you out. Also, until you are completely healed your body may feel more comfortable in the recliner - so perhaps just sleep in the recliner right now.

    How about a glass of warm, skin milk?

    Keep working on it - things will work out.

    Love - Ginny

    ReplyDelete