Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

What medicines am I still using?

It has been 25 days since my open heart surgery. The medicines I am I still taking after surgery?

Metoprolol
(me toe' proe lole) Still taking one a day - 25 mg

Amlodipine
(am loe' di peen) Still taking one a day - 5 mg

Clopidogrel - Plavix
(kloh pid' oh grel) Still taking one a day - 75 mg

Acetaminophen Extra Strength Tylenol (This replaced the Percecet that I gave me issues)
(a set a mee' noe fen) - 1 tablet 500 mg - Started out taking 2 every 6 hours, now every 7 hours

The Metoprolol is used alone or in combination with other medications to treat high blood pressure. I do not have high blood pressure, therefore, it also is used to prevent angina (chest pain) and to improve survival after a heart attack(and I did not have a heart attack). Metoprolol is in a class of medications called beta blockers. It works by relaxing blood vessels and slowing heart rate to improve blood flow and decrease blood pressure.

Just like many other medicines we take the metoprolol may have side effects, one being depression. Depression is one concern in open heart surgery that I have read about & discussed with friends of mine that are "zipper" club members. The other side effect is tiredness. This is one that I am also trying to monitor. The tiredness is also normal after surgery & not sleeping well at night is a concern. Although the past few nights I have recorded more sleep!


The Amlodipine is used alone or in combination with other medications to treat high blood pressure and chest pain (angina). Amlodipine is in a class of medications called calcium channel blockers. It lowers blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels so the heart does not have to pump as hard. It controls chest pain by increasing the supply of blood to the heart. If taken regularly, amlodipine controls chest pain(this is important!), but it does not stop chest pain once it starts. Your doctor may prescribe a different medication to take when you have chest pain.

Another side effect is again tiredness or drowsiness. Again as mentioned previously, this is one factor that I will be monitoring!

Next, Clopidogrel - Plavix is used to prevent strokes and heart attacks in patients at risk for these problems. Clopidogrel is in a class of medications called antiplatelet drugs. It works by helping to prevent harmful blood clots that may cause heart attacks or strokes.

Here we go again, among other side effects is excessive tiredness. As mentioned before, this is a concern for me to get back to work at school & coach in the spring I will need my energy. The past few days I think that this has been improving & will monitor closely.

And last, Acetaminophen is used to relieve mild to moderate pain from headaches, muscle aches, menstrual periods(THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM), colds and sore throats, toothaches, backaches, and reactions to vaccinations (shots), and to reduce fever. Acetaminophen may also be used to relieve the pain of osteoarthritis (arthritis caused by the breakdown of the lining of the joints). Acetaminophen is in a class of medications called analgesics (pain relievers) and antipyretics (fever reducers). It works by changing the way the body senses pain and by cooling the body.

Remember, I had issues with my first pain medicine Oxycodone(Percecet). After one week at home I switched to Acetaminophen (extra strength tylenol) and this seems to be controlling my pain issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment