Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Packers Win! My Heart is Happy!

One of the crazy things about medical conditions is the excuses we make not to get help. My first sign of heart concerns hit me in late September & early October 2010! Here are a few reasons why I ignored getting help!

1 - The Packers!
I was set to go to Green Bay to see my Packers on December 5th this year. Of course, I thought I could make it! But as my condition worsened, I had to give my Packer buddies, Bill Bowers & Terry Engleman a call and tell them that I could not go!

2 - If I give it time, it will get better?
I thought at first the tightness in my chest would go away! Remember, my first real issue was cutting grass. I stopped, it went away & finished mowing the yard. Problem was, each week it did not get better! Raking the fall leaves, and simply walking around the school to do my job made my chest feel that tightness! IT DID NOT GET BETTER BY ITSELF!

3 - This can't happen to me - I'm too young!
My father died of a heart attack at age 75. I was to young at 57, so it cannot be my heart! At age 57 it could not be my heart, must be my asthma, or something else! At 57, I thought of all my friends and they did not have heart issues! But a few did, and a few died! I DID NOT WANT TO DIE!

4 - My last year in education - I can finish it!
This is my 35th & final year in education - I certainly can finish the year! It is November & almost half way through the year! I know I could make it to June! NOT LIKE THIS!

5 - I cannot face Open Heart Surgery - I can't even give blood!
As I mentioned in one of my early blogs, I get light headed when I give blood & needles make me light headed! How could I do Open Heart Surgery! (Guess what - I DID IT!)

There are many reasons that we lie to ourselves, try to fix ourselves, procrastinate! I was lucky that I did not force the issue & went for help!

No comments:

Post a Comment