Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Open Heart Surgery, Diet, & Eating Out!

One of the big changes in surviving open heart surgery is changing your diet. One of the hardest things to do is going out to eat! Today I went with my wife, as she took a bus of senior citizens(a group I am joining) out to a dinner theater production. It was a buffet, and in the old days I tried a little of everything. Today I passed on beef, lasagna, gravy for my potatoes, and of course cake & ice cream! Instead I had fish, mashed potatoes, BRUSSEL SPROUTS, green beens, water, decaf coffee, and NO dessert!

Many of my friends that are trying be be heart healthy talk about the change in diet and how hard it is to stay away from the "good old" foods! It does take discipline & focus to stay the course. And the feeling & emotions rise to the top when you see a 95 year old eating red meat & ice cream!!

Found these interesting diet facts:
  1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
  2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
  3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
  4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
  5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you

No comments:

Post a Comment