Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Open Heart Surgery and Pumphead!

There are many concerns after open heart surgery.  One is called "Pumphead".  An article I found interesting is at the web site:  Scientific American - Can Open-heart Surgery Make You Dimmer?

How are my cognitive skills after surgery?  Take a look at the following:

. . . . . . .lead study author James Slater, a cardiothoracic surgeon at Atlantic Health System in Morristown, N.J. Slater says the amount of cognitive decline varies; some patients have a tough time concentrating, others have trouble with memory and learning. Slater recalls, for instance, a onetime crossword whiz who, post-surgery, could no longer do The New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle.


Part of my issues, at age 58, I think are age related.  Just as an athlete, I was a pretty good athlete, my ability to run 100 meters, catch a football, hit a baseball, have all slightly declined (sorry, declined  a bunch).  I think my mental ability has also, declined, but not as fast (I think!).  So, for me, I have not seen a large decline.  I do feel my attention span has shortened, and it never really was great!


Part of the problem is oxygen getting to the brain during the transition on & off the heart & lung machine.  Another theory is fatty deposits are released and get to the brain, and some patients are genetically more inclined to has issues.  Whatever the reasons, I do not feel that bad and I still can tackle Sudoku puzzles & the Sunday news word search!  As I try to keep on my physical exercise, I will also work on my mental pushups!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. top cancer hospitals in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete