Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

One Year Birthday For My New Heart!

Where was I one year ago today?  Last year at this time was my open heart by-pass surgery!  Quintuple By-Pass!  My lovely wife Sue had to to my Blog!  I was a little busy!!

What did Sue say?

Okay, this is Sue giving you the update on Jim's surgery!!! His surgery went very well and was completed around 12 noon. Dr. Burlingame did 5 by-passes instead of 3. He decided that two of the by-passes would be better served by 2 additional by-passes. Jim is doing very well and I will get to see him in about an hour.  I will update this blog later today with more details. Thank you to all who have had us in your prayers. We can certainly feel it!

From 3 to 5 by-passes! I had to have one more than my buddy Bill!  I have always been a little too competitive!  As you see, my wife Sue was awesome! (And of course, still is)  And my family & friends were there BIG TIME!

And Sue's second post that day!


This is Sue again! Jim did exceptionally well today. Dr. Burlingame was very pleased with Jim's progress in such a short period of time. When I left the hospital at 7PM, they had already taken out the breathing tube and Jim was semi-with it! You know - la la land!! He will be in ICU through tomorrow, so if anyone was thinking of visiting, you should wait until Wednesday. Again, thanks to all for the many prayers - we could feel them all day!

I'm heading to bed - been up since 4AM! Looking forward to tomorrow. I'll keep you posted! Jim's goal was to be back to posting this blog himself by Wednesday and I bet he will do it!

I vaguely remember that day!  I do remember the breathing tube being removed (And being VERY thirsty!)  And as Sue put it, "la la land!"  I remember no real pain, and the only thing hurting was my back! (From laying there since early in the morning)


Sue did a great job as my substitute Blogger. Quick review - Monday was surgery day and not much that I remember about anything that day! I did run into people that I knew which helped me feel more relaxed. And, those people were looking after me! At the end of the day, I was in la la land; didn't get much sleep. Tuesday I awoke in ICU with a million wires and people hovering over me and lots of beeps! I felt like I was in some Star Wars movie! The day went fast and I was able to cat nap. I didn't have much pain or discomfort - lots of drugs! Today is Wednesday, Day 3, and I am now out of ICU and in a regular room. I was up walking several times and was brought regular food, but I was very tired all day and didn't have much energy for the walking or the eating. I am taking several different meds - the ones I took before surgery and new ones - percocet for pain, something for digestion, magnesium for electrolytes.

Looking forward to Day 4 tomorrow! One day closer to going home!

I was blogging by WEDNESDAY!

I cannot begin to thank all!  But I will try!

THANKS TO ALL 
FOR YOUR 
THOUGHTS & PRAYERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment