Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What Has Changed After Open Heart Surgery?

After one year a lot has changed!

1 - New Outlook on Life!  Each day means a little more!  I always tried to focus the moment, but that was not always easy.  A busy schedule, raising two great boys.  Education & coaching schedules.  Family.  Church.  It is a little easier now.  Retirement has allowed me to slow down a little, but my personality does not allow me to relax too much!  I do appreciate, a long walk, sunsets & sunrises, time with family, trips to see my Packers, church volunteering, and doing my research on local history.  Each day is a gift!

2 - Exercise - I was never an exercise freak, but always exercised.  My schedule would always somehow get in the way.  Now, unless I work my part time job, I exercise first in the morning.  I usually try to walk 45-60 minutes a day.  Because of my extra heart beats, PVC's, I am not able to jog, but that may happen.  I still to yard work the old fashioned way, push lawn mower, rake leafs, and please do not tell my sister, shovel snow (I do do it slowwwwwly).

3 - Diet - I am a lot BETTER.  I read labels, and try to eat good things!  More fruits & vegetables, fish & chicken & oatmeal for breakfast!  What is important is what I do not eat - red meat (I cheat usually 2-3 times a month), doughnuts & tastycaskes are out (I do miss them!), and other nasty things.  I do have chocolate, but try to moderate & eat DARK chocolate!

4 - Stress - This is easier being retired, but certain things still stress me out!  The stock market & finances, church issues, politics, and stupid people! I do try to watch less TV news, only check stocks once a week, & stay away from STUPID people (People that act like idiots!)

5 - Faith - I try to stay strong in faith, help at church - men's group, helping with church programs for kids, Sunday School, & finish my term as Council President.  I try to stay focused on keeping my faith simple & relevant!

6 - Zipper Club Buddies - have have many friends with heart issues (One of the pleasures of growing old)  My close group now includes:  Terry S, Rob, Bill C, Terry E, Jim, & Bill B.  I spend time at breakfast, Packer games, & just checking up on how they are doing!  It is helped me & I hope it helps them handle our HEART issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment