Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Depression After Open Heart Surgery

Yesterday I discussed depression and way to avoid depression after surgery.  Today I found an article discussing depression after open heart surgery.

Open Heart Surgery - Depression - The Real Pain

Of course, all open heart surgeries are different, age of person, type of open heart surgery, & many other factors.  This story is good for anyone after open heart, but you will need to modify for your own story.

One of first things I thought about my open heart surgery was my chest and opening the chest to get to my heart!  Sometimes we can think toooooo much!  Like the article said:

"They took a saw and split my chest bone wide open. I just knew this brutal act would be my major source of pain."


Myth Buster:  This actually was not that bad!  The only issue I had, like others, was sneezing or coughing!

As the article points out, many people have not suffered depression and after surgery this may be a new experience.  It gives a list of possible issues:


Apathy
Anger
Feelings of Doom 
Desire for prescription pain medication
Seclusion

Check out the article for more detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment