Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

New Procedure Abnormal Heart Rhythm or Arrhythmia

One of the goals of my recovery from open heart surgery is to stay relevant with all the new procedures and medicines for heart patients.  I found an article today that may have some future impact on my PVC issues.

Science Daily - Heat Energy Used to Fix Odd Heart Beat 

I have been taking meds to control my PVC's and I seem to be doing OK.  I still have issues during exercise when the heart will get to 110-120.  My cardiologist is happy with my progress, but this new procedure is one to be aware for future possible needs!


The part of the article I found interesting was:

"This catheter ablation technology is the latest treatment alternative for patients dealing with the disabling effects of cardiac arrhythmias, such as paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. This is a viable option for patients who do not benefit from their first medication."


The new heart cath & ablation procedure seems to have this advantage:

Unlike traditional catheter technologies, the THERMOCOOL® SF catheter uniformly delivers a cooling saline solution through the catheter, allowing for cooling of the entire catheter tip. Thus, the tip temperature does not rise significantly during ablation, which reduces the risk for clotting, and enhances treatment safety



The key is it reduces the rick of clotting!

The next cardiologist appointment for me is not until next January, so I have some time to continue to try my meds & continue to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment