Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Posting Blood Test Results

When it comes to your health, results of all your tests can be overwhelming! The Blood Test, with all the numbers is probably on top of the list. This is the first time that I asked the testing facility to send results to me.(Because my little sis, the nurse said I should-nagged relentlessly!)

Since there are so many numbers I will post the results over the next few days. The first results were the Lipid Panel. The numbers will be the Abbreviation, my result & range for males.

Test - My Results - Range for Males
CHOL 126 ( 125-200 mg/dL)
TRIG 89 (30-125mg/dL)
VLDL-Calc 17.8 (8.0-32.0 mg/dL)
LDL-C 73 (0-130mg/dL)
dHDL 35.00 ( 32.00-60.00 mg/dL)
CRF 3.60 (2.00-5.00 chol/hdl)
non-HDL Chol (calc) 91.00 ( 0.00-130.00)

First, my total CHOL was 126! That is my lowest I ever had! The 40 mg of Lipitor & new diet should be helping! I am reading all labels & zoom in on the cholesterol part of the label!

The TRIG (tryglycerides are within the suggested range, but a little on the high side. Found a good definition & details at WebMD & Tryglycerides.
Found a couple key facts:
1 - Triglycerides are fat in the blood - high triglycerides level can increase the risk of heart disease.
2 - Triglycerides are the main form of fat in the body. When you think of fat developing and being stored in your hips or belly(mine is belly, hips are perfect)
3 - Any extra food we eat that's not used for activity right away -- carbohydrates, fat, or protein -- is also chemically converted into triglycerides.(I'm sure exercise will help this)

The LDL-C is the BAD cholesterol! At 73, this again is the lowest that I have been! Again the range indicates I'm doing OK! This is a number I will focus on the next few years.

The dHDL is the John Wayne of cholesterol! THE GOOD GUY! My reading of 35 again falls with the range suggested of 32-60! This is the one I would like to focus on this next year. Again, exercise should be one of the leading factors to success.

The other numbers I will need to research and try to decipher!

6 comments:

  1. It seems everything goes smoothly. Maybe you just have some PVC's since your heart is still recovering and it is a lil bit irritable due to the surgery..And that was also told to my dad after he had his 24hours holter in the 2nd time around and it was better than the 1st one..All we need is time, patience and faith that you and my dad we'll have a perfect health soon..

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Patience is not one of my strengths! I have seen improvement & the doctor relieved some of my anxiety with the PVC's! The nurses at rehab were just doing there job and the doctor was doing his job. The six weeks of no rehab was just a lot of time to think!

    And with patience & faith i hope that your Dad & I will be back to better health! Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so give me the rest of your lab profile!!!???
    It would be nice to see u with a halter monitor to see a baseline of ur 24 hr. activity.
    Did u have an echo done recently? What is ur EF?
    You are learning - it really is not that hard.
    I believe u can pick all of this lingo up and understand things at a rapid rate.
    Yep be aggressive Jim - this is too big of a problem not to show passion.
    Love ya - Ginny
    P.S. I am glad ur hips are fine HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim u have a very minimal elevation of the granulocytes. Definitely, yes ask ur doctor, u r right - ask him about the slight elevation.

    But to be honest with u - this is elevated in a lot of people. It can be elevated with any sort of inflammation - ie. history of asthma, irritable bowel, recent surgery tissues still healing and not fully settled down from the cutting process of the surgery,etc. I have had labs done a lot and so has Susie and the granulocytes are slightly elevated.

    Do u feel sick at all? Any sort of cold symptoms, any redness, swelling at incision sites, etc.?

    Your hemoglobin is unbelievable!!!! Do u take vitamins? Whatever u are doing these are great results!!!!

    Did u get a magnesium level with the electrolyte panel? It would be on the same panel where the potassium result is.

    So this is part of the deductive process in trying to generate a diagnosis - u have to knock out things that may be causing the PVC's. For instance, low potassium, low hemoglobin can be reasons for PVC's - but in your case this would not be the reason.

    How is the sleeping at night going? R u sleeping better?

    Thks for the update - keep posting everything!

    Love ya - Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the granulocytes are not much to worry about? I feel pretty good right now and my sleeping is better. I will have more blood test results coming:
    Metabolic Panel & Hepatic Function Panel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes-an elevation in granuloctyes is usually nothing to worry about.
    Honestly, most people have slight elevations, especially after major surgeries and/or chronic inflammatory conditions, such as, asthma.
    But please every nurse would tell you - talk to your doctor to ask any questions or concerns in your case! So, definitely continue to bring it up to the MD.
    I would love to see the metabolic panel and hepatic function panel!
    Again your hemoglobin is phenomenal, esp. after the major surgery you just had!
    Great job Jim - love ya - Ginny

    ReplyDelete