Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

First Week on New Dosage and PVC's

The experiment continues.  The goal is to eliminate my PVC's.  Again, after two echo stress tests & monitoring my own exercise routine, the issue is still exercise induced PVC's.  The two - 24 hour halter monitor results were interesting.  Here is what we know so far 10 months after open heart surgery:

1 - The heart halter monitor showed that the exercise is my main PVC issue.  The first test, I did my normal exercise routine and the results were 1621 PVC's, the second test, with no exercise that day, 168 PVC's!  Evidence that PVC's are exercise related, or heart rate related.

2 - The main medicine for the PVC issue has been Metoprolol or Toprol.  I have started at 25 mg per day, went to 50 mg, 100 mg, back down to 50 mg, and now I'm trying 25 mg again!  The Toprol, is a beta blocker, lowers your heart rate.  When I was on 100 mg, I felt lethargic.  With all the changes, the PVC's seem to stay the same, the PVC's appear when walking up hills at a heart rate from 95-105.  This week I have had mixed results, a couple days no PVC's & other days again on the uphill section of the exercise.

3 - I am able to do almost anything, golf, cut the grass, run a chain saw, other yard work, and household activities without problems.  I seem to be able to exercise during the PVC's, and simply slow down or maintain the rate of exercise.

So, I will stay on the meds & exercise this week as usual.  The plan is to stay on this schedule for 3 weeks & then re-evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment