Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

PVC medicines - Amiodarone & Procainamide

What are other drugs to help with issues in the electrical issues & heart beat rhythm?  I have two new drugs to research with a tip from my sister-in-law in Florida(Thanks Lorie)


Amiodarone - here is what I found:
Amiodarone is used to treat and prevent certain types of serious, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias (a certain type of abnormal heart rhythm when other medications did not help or could not be tolerated. Amiodarone is in a class of medications called antiarrhythmics. It works by relaxing overactive heart muscles. (I have always had a overactive heart!)


Procainamide - here is what I found:


Procainamide is an injectable drug that is used to correct disturbances in the heart's rhythm; it is an antiarrhythmic drug. Three actions are responsible for its ability to correct disturbances of rhythm and prevent their recurrence. Procainamide decreases the speed of electrical conduction through the heart muscle, prolongs the electrical phase during which the heart's muscle cells can be electrically stimulated, and prolongs the recovery period during which the heart muscle cells cannot be stimulated. Procainamide was approved for use by the FDA in 1950.


First,it has been around since 1950 - that is good.  Bad, this says it needs to be injected!  I'm sure they have pills - I HOPE!  It says it decreases speed of the electrical conduction - I guess that would help with the PVC's - P meaning premature.
SIDE EFFECTS: Common reactions include diarrheanauseavomiting,rashlow blood pressureitching, flushing, and slow heart beat. Severe reactions include abnormal heart beats, seizuresheart arrest, and blood disorders.  (Some of these sound like fun!)


So, next time I see the doctor, I will have more questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment