Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

More Research on Amiodarone

This conversation was on the use of Amiodarone.

Amiodarone for PVC's

Several red flags in the conversation:

In a word, No! At least not if you are planning on being on it for any length of time. Have you looked it up and seen the side effects it can cause? There is now a new "version" of Amiodarone called Dronedarone that doesn't have the iodine in it. I think there are already a few people on here who are on it. I may go on it myself soon.


Side effects - new drug - Dronedarone.


Amiodarone is the SLEDGE HAMMER of antiarrhythmics.
Doctors like it because "It Works" and they can discharge patients quickly. It has a Half Life of 6 months or more and is Very Toxic if taken large doses or for too long.



The SLEDGE HAMMER!  Very Toxic if taken large doses for to long!


The claim for Dronedrone (Multaq) is that it works like amiodarone but has way fewer / less severe side effects. I would still try the others first.


One for Dronedrone!


Since Juan has used metoprolol and it hasn't worked, Toprol & Toprol XL are probably out, since they're the same thing. Don't know what difference is in the XL version.

What about sotalol? I think that's been mentioned as an alternative to amiodarone.



Same as me Metoprolol did not work - Another - Sotalol?


I have been through too many conversations with at least 10 cardios and EP Dr.'s both at home and at the Mayo clinic regarding the best drugs to treat these annoying PAC's/PVC's. I brought up the option of Sotalol since it has been mentioned here so many times. I was told by more than one Dr. that it does have a large beta blocker component and since the beta blockers didn't help my situation (in fact, they made it worse) then this med would not be something they would suggest. So, I'm wondering if Juan's Dr. feels the same way.


Again- Sotalol.  A beta blocker, this may not be the answer for me?


This has been an interesting dialogue, more ideas and more questions - PVC's are a challenge for many people!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment