Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Heart, My Packers, The Streak!

One of my life long passions has been football.  From watching as a kid, to playing in high school, coaching in high school, and of course as a fan!  Why?  I think several reasons have captivated me!

Reason 1 - As a kid, it was fun to play!  (The mothers in the neighborhood disagreed)  Scoring a touchdown on a long run!  Tackling that pain in the neck kid!  Drawing up those crazy plays in the dirt!  Or even out in the backyard by yourself - punting the ball and hitting that perfect spiral that turns over in the air!  GREAT memories.

Reason 2 - Being part of a team!  Working hard together.  Practicing that play over & over till it is perfect!  Having 11 young men work together!  Helping one another up after a play.  Learning to handle defeat!  And of course, celebrating VICTORY!

Reason 3 - As a fan!  As a young fan watching someone that you idolize - Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas, Dick Butkus, and all the other legends!  As an adult, admiring someone that is skilled on the field & a leader off the field!  A role model for other Dads (This is critical!)

Today I make a second trip to see the Packers - this time to New York and as Howard Cosell used to say, "The New York "Football" Giants"!  I would love to see a Packer win!  But, more important!  I am going to THE GAME!  Last year with heart surgery looming I missed it!

This year will be great!  Good weather - sunny & in the 50's!  Good friends - Bill, Terry & Bob!  And a great football game - Go Pack Go!


No comments:

Post a Comment