Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Taking Care of the Heart in Many Ways

In previous blogs I mentioned things I want to do when I retire from education.  Today I had an opportunity to try one of those ideas! And along the way, heal my heart with something I enjoy doing!

I have always enjoyed history.  As a student I tried to take many history courses.  As an adult I would read about people that helped mold history, Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Lincoln,.......

Today, I had a chance to begin another road in my life, history of my childhood home, Lebanon County (if you are from there it is pronounced - Lepnin Caunty)  And what made it even more fun, it was with a bus load of retired people from Willow Valley!  Sue is the activities coordinator, and one of her jobs is providing bus trips for her retirees.  My first idea was Fort Indiantown Gap, in northern Lebanon County.

We had a great time!  Half the bus were veterans.  And our "step-on" guide was a retired Sargent Major, who was based at Fort Indiantown Gap - he was awesome!  This was our itinerary:

1 - Start in a repair shop that repairs armored vehicles, Abram Tanks, Bradley's, Stryker's  etc.  The personnel show us all the vehicles in their yard. 
2 - Visit Monuments on the base.
3 - Lunch
4 - PA National Guard Museum - great memories from years ago!
5 - The Indiantown Gap National Cemetery - this is incredible, clean, very organized, patriotic, and is not far below Arlington!

So it begins!  A study of the History of Lebanon County!  One was to heal the heart is to relax it & relieve the stress.  Do this by doing something you love!  For me it will be to study my roots, my County, my Hometown!

No comments:

Post a Comment